The National Fire Protection Association reports 85% of fire deaths occur in the home, making fire prevention a top priority in every home. Here is a list of some of the less obvious tips for fire prevention, based on the most common causes of fires:
Cooking is the number one cause of home fires.
NEVER use water to extinguish a grease fire.
- Keep appliances clean, and wipe surfaces after spills. Clean stove surfaces and ovens regularly.
- Wear tight-fitting sleeves, or roll them up when cooking
- Keep flammable objects, including pot holders, dish towels and curtains, at least three feet away from the stove.
- Wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all other solid-fueled heating equipment needs to be inspected annually by a professional and cleaned accordingly.
- Assure microwaves have enough room to breathe, that all the vents are cleared of obstructions.
- If there is a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Make sure to have the microwave oven serviced before you use it again.
- If there is an oven fire, keep the door closed and turn off the heat. If the fire doesn’t go out immediately, call the fire department.
- A grease fire occurs when oil or greasy foods are heated and ignite. The simplest way to fight a grease fire is to carefully slide a lid over the pan. Turn off the burner, don’t move the pan, and keep the lid on until the pan cools completely. Baking Soda may also be used to suffocate the fire.
- NEVER PUT WATER ON A GREASE FIRE. Water causes the grease to splatter and the fire to spread. Also, NEVER attempt to take a grease fire outdoors. It will be too hot to carry and you will drop it, causing a major house fire.
- Heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires during the winter months of May, June and July, and is the second-leading cause of home fires year-round.
- When buying heaters, look for devices with automatic shutoff features.
- Be sure any gas-fueled heating device is installed with proper attention to ventilation, and never put unvented gas space heaters in bedrooms or bathrooms. Liquefied Petroleum (LP) gas heaters with self-contained fuel supplies are prohibited for home use.
- Never leave space heaters on when you leave the room.
- Space heaters should be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
- Don’t use extension cords with space heaters. The high amount of current they require could melt the cord and start a fire.
- When lighting a gas space heater, strike your match first, then turn on the gas.
- Never use a gas range as a substitute for a furnace or space heater.
Wherever electrical current is concerned, a fire extinguisher should never be too far.
- Wiring, outlets, switches, circuit breakers and other electrical devices are the third leading cause of home fires and the second leading cause of fire deaths.
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- If outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.
- Try to avoid extension cords. If you feel an extension cord is necessary, make sure that it is not frayed or worn. Do not run it under carpet or around doorways.
- Never overload a socket. The use of “octopus” outlets or “power bar”, outlet extensions that accommodate several plugs, is strongly discouraged. Try to limit one high-wattage appliance into each individual outlet at a time.
- If a circuit breaker trips or a fuse blows frequently, cut down on the number of appliances on that line. In many older homes, the capacity of the wiring system has not kept pace with today’s modern appliances and can overload electrical systems. Some overload signals include: dimming lights when an appliance goes on, fuses blowing frequently or shrinking TV picture.
- Assure there’s plenty of air space around home entertainment units such as the TV and stereo to avoid overheating.
- Although some fires are caused by electrical system failures and appliance defects, many are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords.
Smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths.
Never smoke in bed. Always look under cushions and in trashcans for burning cigarettes before going to bed. Check carpeting where ashtrays have been used.
More to think about:
- Get rid of stored newspaper or other unnecessary materials. Newspapers stored in a damp, warm place may ignite spontaneously.
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home and outside of sleeping areas.
- Mount a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, garage and workshop.
- Agree in advance on an escape plan. There should be at least two exits in every room.
- Note: Half of all home fire deaths occur at night, so fire hazard checks and special attention to fire prevention should occur before going to bed.
From everyone at Lambton Pre-school and Aftercare, we would like to wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
We look forward to seeing you all next year!
This is just a reminder that we are in a season where people should be aware of their surroundings and look after their belongings. We have already had instances where robberies and hijackings have taken place in this silly season. Please I am making a pledge you to look after your belongings wherever you go. Remember it only takes a thief seconds to steal so if you leave your guard for a short time you could become a victim so safe guard your possessions.
Try not to carry large amounts of cash in your bag or wallet but if you need to lock it in a safe place. A draw or cupboard can easily be opened as people that steal are desperate and they will go to any effort to get to your possessions.
Always be wary of your surroundings and take special care of your credit and debit cards because depending on the information that’s stolen, problems go well beyond cancelling a stolen card or changing a PIN. Criminals file false tax returns or misuse identities to get cell phone services, open utility accounts and obtain prescription drugs.
Some victims have had their names wrongly invoked in arrest reports and court records of other people’s crimes. Victims say the violation brings with it anger, anxiety, sadness, shame and even suicidal thoughts.
While theft of credit card information remains the most common type of cyber fraud, medical identity theft is growing. It can result in victims being charged for medical services and prescriptions they didn’t receive, or finding another person’s health information in their medical records. Consequently, you can be denied health benefits.
Like in real life, your wallet or hand bag must be secured. Always remember that it is your responsibility to adopt good practices in order to protect your money.
Here are three ways to protect your wallet or purse:
- Keep it close. If you’re carrying a purse, make sure it has short straps so that it rides right under your arm. Also don’t carry your wallet in your back pocket or in the side pocket of a jacket. Carry it in your front pocket, or in an interior jacket pocket.
- Travel light. Carry only essentials in your wallet or purse. All too often we feel the need to carry every credit card on us when we’re shopping. Don’t do it. Carry only the cash you need. Limit yourself to one credit card, and leave the rest at home whenever possible. The less you carry, the smaller the mess you’ll have to clean up if your wallet or purse does go missing.
- Take inventory. Stop right now and list everything that’s in your purse or wallet without looking. Once you’re done, check your list against what’s in there. I’ll bet you forget a few items. Sometimes, we carry around items that we don’t use often.
Do not make it easy for people to steal from you. We are all busy and trust people around us too much therefore stay vigilant and keep your hard earned cash safe.
On behalf of all of us at Lambton Preschool and Aftercare we wish you all a blessed Festive season.
Our children deserve the brightest possible future.
Lambton Pre-School|Nursery School|Creche|Pre-Primary School
We should all prepare our children for a preferred future.
We, at Lambton Pre-School & Aftercare are renowned for the love, care and excellence we display. At Lambton Pre-School and Aftercare your child will feel settled and at home.
We, at Lambton Pre-School and Aftercare provide a Pre-School/Nursery School/Creche/Pre-Primary School with qualified teachers for children aged 15 months to Grade 0, in Lambton, Germiston.